The County Constitution states:
ARTICLE VI PARTY CAUCUSES AND DELEGATES
4. State and County Delegates shall be elected at each caucus to represent the precinct at the respective state and county conventions. Alternate delegates may be elected. If any precinct fails to elect sufficient delegates to the county convention, the County Executive Committee may designate delegates to the state or county conventions from qualified members residing in the precinct.
ARTICLE VII COUNTY CONVENTIONS
3.County and state delegates elected at precinct caucuses shall be notified of a county nominating convention at least two (2) weeks before the convention by one (1) of the following methods: phone call, email, text message, mail, fax, posted on the internet or posted in local newsprint.
9. Nomination of Legislative Candidates. When the boundaries of either the Utah House or Utah Senate districts are identical or completely within the boundaries of the county, the candidates shall be chosen at the county nominating convention by the county delegates from within the legislative district. If a house or senate legislative district encompasses more than one county, the candidates shall be chosen at the state nominating convention by the state delegates from within the legislative district county, the candidates shall be chosen at the state nominating convention by the state delegates from within the legislative district.
ARTICLE VIII CANDIDATE VACANCIES
2. In the event that a Party candidate resigns, dies or becomes incapacitated after nomination at the county convention or at the primary election, candidates for the following offices shall be replaced by the following method:
2. Candidates for legislative districts that encompass two or more counties shall be replaced by the state delegates elected from within the legislative district at a special legislative caucus.
Duties of a State Delegate:
- The Republican Party must have your name, phone number, mailing/physical address and email
- Receive communication from the UT GOP, elected officials, candidates
- The term of service shall be 2 years (If you move or change address you must inform the Summit County GOP Executive Committee)
- Attend and participate in the Utah Republican Party State Convention in even years to choose the Party's nominees for elected office
- Governor, Attorney General, State Auditor, State Treasurer, US Senate, US House of Representatives and multi-county State Legislative races
- Educate yourself about all the candidates (Attend meetings, become acquainted, receive mailings, calls, invitations and emails)
- Debate and vote on any changes to the State Party Constitution, Bylaws, Platform, Rules of the Convention and Resolutions
- Attend the State Organizing Convention in odd years to elect State Party Officers